Terminating Your Lease
If you are a victim, you can terminate your lease at any time without penalty so long as you do all of the following:
Put your request in writing to your landlord within 90 days of one of the following:
- Reporting an incident of domestic violence or sexual assault;
- Getting a Protection From Abuse (PFA) order; or
- Approval of a consent decree and at least 30 days before its termination date.
Provide a copy of one of the following:
- A court order or approved consent agreement for a PFA;
- An incident report from the Police Department stating that a domestic abuse or sexual assault complaint was filed; or
- Written certification by a health care professional, professional guidance counselor or a victim service organization stating that you sought assistance.
Vacate the property by the early termination date.
Please call or visit our office and talk with intake staff for more information.